I love working with founding teams who are looking to change the world. Their energy and enthusiasm is infectious. It is great when you can see a product evolve over time that has been shaped by the vision of the founding team. For most founders an exit is not the end goal—it’s part of the life cycle of the company.
- AdsWizz in financing and its acquisition by Pandora;
- Capella Space in its Series A and B financings;
- Coil in general corporate and finance matters;
- Dedrone in its Series A and B financings;
- General Catalyst in its investment into Brainly;
- HoloBuilder in its inversion and initial round of funding;
- LARQ in general corporate and finance matters, including its Series A financing;
- Linse Capital in its investments in ChargePoint and Skydio Fund;
- Portofino in its Series Seed, Series A and B financings;
- Pragiti in its sale to DMI;
- PyrAmes in its Series A financing;
- Siolta Therapeutics in its Series B financing;
- Spin Memory in general corporate and finance matters;
- Teamport (d/b/a Around) in its Seed and Series A financings;
- Utimaco in its acquisition of Micro Focus’ Attala product line;
- VSS in sale to Danaher Group;
- Workit Health in its Series B financing; and
- ZenDeals in financing matter and sale to RetailMeNot.
Launch Moment: Seeing the face of a founder who just sold his baby off for a whooping $200 million, and realizing that this was it!
Favorite App: This may be boring, but it's still Facebook, which I have been on since about 2007. I love being able to stay in touch with friends and family. It's the easiest way for me, and my kids actually respond when I message them (not so much when I email them!).
Daily Reads: The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, San Jose Mercury News and TechCrunch.
Favorite Book: Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich.
Off the Clock: I enjoy spending time with my three kids and my high school sweetheart, even when dragging them to modern art museums. Traveling to exotic places is fun, but the beauty and serenity of the Pacific Coast and the Sierra gives me more pleasure than anything. I also enjoy watching soccer and getting on the slopes as much as I can.
LLM, University of California, Los Angeles, 1996
First State Exam, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität, Freiburg im Breisgau, 1995
Bar AdmissionsCalifornia, New York
Emerging Companies, Venture Capital, Mergers and Acquisitions
Technology: Mobile, Telecom, Infrastructure, Digital Media, Software (includes SAAS and Cloud computing), Materials Sciences (includes nanotechnology, semiconductors, etc.), Energy, Clean Tech, Consumer, Fin Tech, Ed Tech, Healthcare IT, Big Data